Monday, May 27, 2013

Sex Offenders After Prison

What should happen with sex offenders after the initial prison sentence? Keeping that answer as PG as possible can be hard depending on the person that is asked and the offense that the person did. I have heard about these trailer parks in Florida that contain sex offenders, and there are signs posted that say children keep out. Now I don't know if this actually exists or not, but I do think that it is an okay idea. Why? Well because then we aren't having messages sent to our phones and our e-mails from the watchdog programs that let us know about people moving in and out of our neighborhoods. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those that has such messages being sent to me. And I am also a strong advocate that when it is Halloween night that sex offenders are locked into a gym during trick or treat hours. Now sex offenders are saying that is unconstitutional. Again the Constitution being used for something that it wasn't written for, but that is another blog in itself entirely.

While reading Chapter 7, it mentioned sex offenders after prison in the "A Closer Look"  box on page 203. And I found it a little disturbing that so much money is being used for "treatment" for these people. Granted they may need it, but why can't they get some of it in regular prison? Is it because more time is focused on keeping the reason that they are in prison in the first place secret from the other prisoners? That shouldn't be our problem to be quite honest with you. People that touch a child sexually have a problem that I don't think that any amount of therapy can fix. This need or desire is embedded in them and I feel that it is only a matter of time before they commit the crime again, but this time they will kill the child. Too many of our children are being hurt this way. I don't think that there is rehabilitation for men or women even that commit crimes like this.

"Treating a criminal until they are longer a threat" (Banks, 2013, p. 203) is a tool that has no reasonable measurement to me. Until they are no longer a threat means what, until they actually understand that it is wrong to touch a child like that or to hurt a child sexually, or is it until they are longer physically unable to do such harm because they are too old, as it was mentioned that a 102 year old man was still in such a facility that rehabilitates sex offenders. I think that before programs like this are established to spend more taxpayers money, the answer of can a sex offender be rehabilitated needs to be answered. If the answer comes back and it is factually based that they can be, then start the program in more areas. If no such answer exists yet, then these offenders should remain in prison in general population.

Banks, C. (2013). Criminal Justice Ethics Theory and Practice (3rd ed., p. 203). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc

6 comments:

  1. This is a sore subject for me. I work in a jail and experience much of what you have spoken about. Many sex offenders remain in our custody for quite a while. In most cases they are kept in a protective custody area. When we pull them aside to fill out either their arrival to our facility registry or their departing registry, we are reminded not to allow other inmates to see or hear us converse with the sex offender.
    After the paperwork is done we offer the offender their copy and they normally request that we shred it. The prison environment especially ensures that they are protected because it is a greater chance of them either being raped or killed if the word got out. From my experience, many of them seem to have no remorse and often have a nasty attitude toward staff. I agree with you concerning the cost of taxpayers money after they are released from prison. If they must attend a rehabilitation program, it should take place while they are in prison. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cringe at the rights and protection for sex offenders, especially child molesters. Why should pedophiles be housed in protection units? People that commit crimes against children should be placed in general population. I think of the torment the children they victimized went through …no one was there to protect them from the horrific memories that will change their life forever!
    Prisons today are mainly privatized. Therefore, prison officials are extremely careful not to release the pedophile’s charges due to the fear of lawsuits made against them.
    I read this week that a 63-year-old pedophile was found slain at the California State Prison-Corcoran. He was serving ONLY a six-year sentence for lewd and lascivious acts on a child under fourteen. I’m sure the parents of the victim weren’t too heartbroken of the news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your topic is Sex Offenders in Prison, there are many different types of sex offenders. You concentrated on sex offenders of children, these are totally different monsters. People who rape and sexually abuse children, the mentally ill, and the elders are monsters. With that being said, I'm not saying rape or sexual abuse of others don't make them monsters, I'm just saying that is just despicable. I think rehabilitation should be given to some sex offenders but not all, just like any other crime it should be dependent of the level of offense they committed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After sex offenders have been released from prison I don't think they should have to all live in one trailer park with a sign on it saying sex offenders live there. I believe that some people can change. Yes they have committed a horrible crime and many, including myself may never want to look at sex offenders. We still must remain ethical. There are websites that you can go onto to search for sex offenders. I think that is better than having a sign outside of someone's residence saying they once committed a sex crime.
    Growing up I lived next door to a sex offender for many years and never knew until my class went onto the sex offender website. After going to that site it terrified me until the sex offender moved away. I had been living next to him for a little less than a year and he had maybe said one thing to my family the entire time. He had never been disrespectful, never tried to hit on anyone in my family, etc. Had I not gone to that site I would have never known. He may have been one of those people who committed a crime and learned from his mistakes. Had there been signs on his door or in his yard that he was a sex offender the neighborhood would have possibly reacted negatively. His life could have been greatly affected by that.
    Although sex crimes are horrible we must not forget why the judges have their jobs. It isn't our responsibilty to provide a punishment for these people or make them remember every day of their life what they did wrong. We can reject them out of our personal lives, ie. not dating them, not being friends with them, etc. but it's not our place to punish them. I believe that is unethical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maile: You have tackled a controversial subject and handled it well. The comments show considerable thought as well. Professor Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that some people need constant monitoring and therapy. Some people can't be fixed, regardless of how much help you give them. Devils advocate , though: what about the ones who can? The ones who have served their time and follow all the rules. Do they deserve to be branded with the scarlet letter? Once you've done you're time, shouldn't you be forgiven?

    ReplyDelete